Monday, August 25, 2008

Rules Of Thumb...

...sometimes need clarification. In my last post I wrote that my rule of thumb when restoring old equipment is: less is more. Afterwards I realized that I was painting with too broad a brush. This rule is true as far as painting or refinishing in general goes. However, with any piece of equipment, from a stapler to a press, I invariably disassemble it, clean every part and make any repairs as I go. I remove any and all rust and while not a fanatic about polished metal surfaces, will at least make them bright.

Because my usual method of cleaning involves WD-40, green pads and paper towels original paint tends to stay put and I don't usually find a need to replace it or touch it up even if there isn't much left. But there are those cases such as the proof press where there are only bits and pieces of finish left and it was so rusty that sandblasting was the most reasonable method of cleaning. Complete repainting was therefore the only practical option.

So I hope I've set the record straight. I thought it important to do so because I'm a strong proponent of disassembling and cleaning machinery. Not only does it insure that it will operate the way it should because bearing and other surfaces are clean but you gain an intimate knowledge of the machine. You learn its strong points and areas where parts are worn and perhaps must be repaired, replaced or compensated for during operation. Trouble-shooting problems will be much easier if you know the machine inside and out. No machine is perfect, especially antiques, even when they're restored to full operation. I also find that being able to take pride in your equipment translates itself positively to your work.

I've attached a photo of a lead and slug cutter that was covered in rust on the bare metal surfaces but the paint of which was mostly intact. I took it all apart and cleaned everything including the screws, springs, and snap rings. I cleaned the gunk off the paint but otherwise left it alone. I made the base at work from some mahogany we had laying around.


3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Rich, lucky you, to be in a shop where you can do all that stuff- base looks wonderful, as does the cutter itself. And the proof press is great! Are you going to pick out the manufacturer's name in gold? :) A little pinstriping is par for the 1880/90s.

Rich Polinski said...

Funny you should mention the gold lettering. I have in fact been thinking about that and we recently brought in some gold paint at work, most of which we're not going to use now. So perhaps it was meant to be...

javier said...

hi i am from Argentina, I have a digital print shop, to come to hand slug cutter (I did not know it was) is equal to the photo, just missing the part that is in front I would like to restore it. It's a great job.
regards
PS I do not speak English, use the google translator.