Monday, January 26, 2009

Ecce Homo


Meet Stanley Grossman. From the end of the 1950's through the 1960's Mr. Grossman was an Industrial Arts teacher at a high school in New Jersey. Among other crafts he taught printing. He taught my good friend Alan Runfeld of the Excelsior Press who has been a printer since even before high school. He went on to oversee the vocational technical education of several generations of students.

I had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Mr. Grossman a few months ago when I went with my friend Alan to haul several presses and other equipment out of Mr. Grossman's basement print shop where he had printed for local businesses, organizations and individuals for many years. At 80 years old, he doesn't do much printing anymore and wanted to see the equipment continue its useful life in other hands. I was very fortunate in getting his C&P 10x15 press as I've described in previous posts.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank him publicly and introduce him to you, part of our shared printing heritage. He's a kind and gracious man with a quick and subtle wit that I especially appreciate. As you can imagine, he's very knowledgeable and I learned quite a lot just from the several visits I made to his house. I wish you could all have the opportunity to meet him.

No comments: