Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Simply DeVinne

The distribution of the American Bank Note Company type continues. The Comstock has been completed but unfortunately I only have three more empty California cases. Also, I need at least one triple cap and one double cap or two triple cap cases to complete the upper case fonts. I think I need about five more California cases for the full fonts remaining. But I'm getting there. Tonight the 18 point DeVinne Extended is on the schedule. Tomorrow the 30 and 36 point Bank Script.

I also spent time this weekend distributing some used Old English in 12, 18 and 24 point that my friend Alan Runfeld of the Excelsior Press generously gave me. I have Old English in 12, 14, 18, 24, 36, and 60 point so it's sort of the house face and these additional sorts beefed up their fonts nicely. I still have a 30 point to get which will add a new point size to the collection. I got the original 6 fonts from a print shop in Elizabeth, NJ that was cleaning out much of its letterpress operation.

I've been very fortunate in terms of getting good deals on used type. This has been a necessity considering my finacial situation. I'd encourage anyone who wants to be involvd with traditional printing and is in a similar situation to do as much study and research about the craft as you can and keep your eyes open. This will pay off by enabling you to understand what you need, what is good and what isn't, and what is a bargain and what is not. Roy Underhill of The Woodwright's Shop on PBS once said that luck is where opportunity and preparation meet.

No comments: